Monday, February 15, 2016

Perfect Faithfulness

 

[Photo of sun on the ocean with words superimposed]


“I will exalt you and praise your name…”
—Isaiah 25:1b

One of the most frustrating aspects of a relationship takes place when the other person does not act toward us in a consistent manner.

“I never know how my husband is going to react to what I tell him.” The woman had come for counseling. She truly loved her husband. But, his inconsistent behavior was putting an enormous strain on their marriage.

As I listened to her talk, I began to think of all the times I had allowed some little thing to trigger an out-of-proportion emotional response in me. I was convicted in that moment and said a quick prayer asking God to forgive me for my own inconsistent behavior. Then, I determined to ask God to help me respond to others in a more consistent manner.

In contrast, God always acts consistently toward us. Even during times of confusion or great trial in our lives, God always acts in our best interest. Even when He seems far away and we can't figure out why these seemingly bad things are happening to us, God has a plan He is working out in our lives for our very best.

The Prophet Isaiah clearly understood the steadfastness and perfect faithfulness of God when he wrote these words in Isaiah 25:1:

Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago.

Let us begin this new day by praising God for His perfect faithfulness. And, let us strive to imbue all our relationships with a consistency of behavior that honors the example God has set for us.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.