Friday, October 31, 2014

Results Oriented

 

[Photo of a bridge with words superimposed]


“I am the light of the world.”
—John 8:12a

Many years ago I made a fire protection inspection at a major manufacturer of photographic film. In one film processing room, machinery operated in total darkness. The only time lights were permitted was during an annual shutdown.

Workers actually trained to repair the machinery in complete darkness. The light switches for the room required two keys to operate. Each key was held by a different individual. Even the maintenance department had a rigorous process of having two maintenance workers go through an elaborate sign-our procedure in order to obtain the keys to turn on the lights.

I was amazed at how disorienting total darkness could be. Fortunately, I wore a harness with a guide and safety rope in case I lost my way.

In such complete darkness even a sliver of the dimmest light would ruin the unexposed film. But also, in such blackness, even a sliver of light would have been enough illumination for me to find my way.

Our Savior made an important declaration when he stated in John 8:12:

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Jesus is the Light of Life. His Presence utterly dispels darkness from our lives. It is for this reason that the Apostle John stated in 1 John 1:5, 7:

This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

By the mercy and grace of God, we can walk in the Light of His Son. I think it would be a very good decision if we would choose to do so.

And, once we make that choice often enough, it becomes ingrained into the very fabric of our being.

 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.