Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Resting In God

 

[Graphic of a sign]


“Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.”
—Psalm 62:1

On many Sunday afternoons when I was growing up, I would look over at my dear grandmother and find her sitting with her eyes closed.

“Are you sleeping, Grandma?” I would ask her.

“No dear,” she would answer with a sweet smile. “I’m just resting my eyes. I just need a little rest.”

A little rest. Sometimes I think all of us just need a little rest.

A little rest from the hassles of our daily lives. A little rest from financial problems. A little rest from family or relationship problems. A little rest from trying to find a job. A little rest from health problems. A little rest from disagreements at church. A little rest from stridently divisive politics. A little rest from not enough hours in the day to accomplish our appointed tasks.

We all just need a little rest.

Perhaps we should take a cue from the Psalmist who declares in Psalm 62:1-2, 5-8:

Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

Do we need a little rest? Yes, we do! So, let’s turn to the God who loves us with his unfathomable love. He waits lovingly to give us our needed rest.

 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.