Thursday, October 30, 2014

Be Careful What You Say!

 

[Graphic of a sign]


“I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin…”
—Psalm 39:1

Do you remember this children’s Sunday School song:

O be careful little lips what you say.
O be careful little lips what you say.
For your Father up above
Is looking down in love.
O be careful little lips what you say.

There are other verses to this song, of course, and perhaps we’ll look at them another time. But, this verse emphasizes how potent and powerful what we say can become.

The blogosphere is one place where many bloggers could much more carefully choose their words.

I’m a very, very conservative person. At the same time, I have a number of friends who are deeply committed to following the Lord Jesus Christ and who hold polar opposite postion with respect to my ultra-conservative viewpoint. In all of our discussions, we should be able to state our respective cases with great passion, but without rancor, without name-calling, and with kindness and compassion.

Whenever we discuss any subject with any other person, we should do so with open hearts and open minds. Especially when we deal with our brothers and sisters in Christ, we should lovingly guard what we say.

Part of our witness to the world around us as to how Christ has transformed our lives must involve the way we speak. Note what the Psalmist says in Psalm 39:1-2:

I said, “I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth while in the presence of the wicked.”

So I remained utterly silent, not even saying anything good.

We will all benefit greatly if we choose our words carefully, particularly when we disagree.

 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.