Monday, September 14, 2020

One Accord and One Mind

 

[Graphic of Scripture Verse]


So if there is any encouragement in
Christ, any comfort from love, any
participation in the Spirit, any
affection and sympathy, complete
my joy by being of the same mind,
having the same love, being in
full accord and of one mind.
—Philippians 2:1-2

Have you ever thought about the fact that life seems like a series of cascading “ifs”?

  • If I receive another COVID-19 stimulus check, perhaps I can buy that iPad I’ve wanted.

  • If it doesn’t rain tomorrow, I hope to be able to go to the beach.

  • If I get a good report from my doctor, I will plan to start walking each morning at the Mall.

  • If my wife asks what I want for dinner, I believe I will ask for steaks on the grill.

  • If I get up early enough tomorrow, I will plan to buy gas for my car on the way to work.

  • If my boss accepts the report I turned in yesterday, I believe I will offer to pay for my friend’s lunch.

  • If my favorite TV program is on tonight, I will pop some popcorn and settle in for a nice evening.

  • And on, and on, and on!

In our walk of faith, “ifs” play a big role, too. In the verse at the beginning of this blog post, the Apostle Paul relies on a series of “ifs” to encourage the Christians in Philippi. “If you find encouragement in Christ, ” Paul asserts. “If you find any comfort in God’s love. If you participate in allowing the Holy Spirit to lead you along the pathway of your life. If you experience affection and sympathy from your fellow believers. Then, I urge you to complete the joy I feel for you by having the same love for one another and by being of one mind in the decisions you make.”

Those words of Paul apply to us today, as well. We show our thankfulness to God through our obedience to His written Word and to His divine will for our lives. We set aside our own selfish human will and allow God’s will to prevail in our lives. That is definitely the way to live.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.