Friday, September 11, 2020

Help Me!

 

[Photo of a man who has fallen down the stairs]


I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.
—Psalm 121:1-2

You’ve all likely seen the television commercial: “Help me! I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!” Lots of comedians have made much of that scenario. I used to laugh a bit at it, too. Then, I became someone who literally cannot get up on my own if I fall.

I can remember the first time it happened. I had decided to attend an evening worship service on the shore of Lake Erie at Presque Isle State Park. I’m not certain that I realized we were actually going to meet on the beach. This was in the summer of 2002. For over a year, I had had to use two canes in order to walk. I didn’t think about how difficult it might be to walk on sand with two canes.

I arrived at the designated spot. Got out of the car and began to walk across the sand to where the other worshippers had gathered. Just a few steps and down I went. Within seconds I realized I could not get up by myself. Fortunately, a very kind man saw my plight and because of my extreme obesity, with no little amount of difficulty, he helped lift me back up so I could stand alone. If I had been alone, I would still be stuck in the sand.

Since that time, I have fallen only two or three times in the intervening 18 years. In each case, I have needed help getting back up. I am so concerned about falling, that I take every precaution to guard my steps.

The truth is that, for one reason or another, we all need help at some point in our lives. Whether we need help in our physical lives or not, we most certainly need help in our spiritual lives. That’s why the verse at the beginning of this blog post is so important. The Psalmist declares that when he needs help he looks to the one source from which genuine help comes: “the Lord who made heaven and earth.”

This day, let us follow the example of the Psalmist. When we need help in our lives, let us look quickly to the only One who can truly help us. God loves us with His everlasting love. He waits patiently for us to call upon Him. Let’s be quick to do so.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.