Monday, February 3, 2020

Obedience = Love

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“Whoever has my commands and obeys them,
he is the one who loves me. He who loves
me will be loved by my Father, and I too
will love him and show myself to him.”
—John 14:21

I written often on this blog regarding the only requirement that God has given those He has called to Himself. Even though He pours out His mercy, grace, and abiding love on us and has redeemed us through the shed blood of His one and only Son, Jesus, God only asks one thing of us: obedience. God wants us to obey His will and His written Word.

Jesus confirmed this when He told His disciples these words, found in John 14:21:

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.

In a climate of obedience, love flows freely back to God from those of us He has called to Himself. Before the foundation of the earth, God chose us to belong to Himself. In due season, God sent His Holy Spirit to reveal to us what His Son, Jesus, has done for us by paying the penalty for our sins. Once the Spirit gives us the ability to apprehend that truth, He comes and lives in our hearts and minds.

This new reality for us grants us the privilege of showing God our love through our obedience to His written Word and to His perfect, divine will. We learn to bend our selfish human wills to His perfect will. In so doing, we show God love. We also experience the benefits of belonging to Him.

As we begin a new day, we need to constantly remain aware of God’s Presence in our lives and the joy we bring Him each time we obediently follow the pathway He has laid out before us.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.