Monday, January 13, 2020

He Insists That We Rest

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, he
restores my soul. He guides me in paths
of righteousness for his name’s sake.”
—Psalm 23:2-3

King David had experienced the power of God in his life from the time he was a relatively young teenager. He had experienced the overwhelming Presence of the Holy Spirit flood into his life at the time Samuel anointed him as the chosen King of Israel. While it would still be many years before David ascended the throne, in a way unique to the time in which he lived, David knew an intimacy with God that was almost unparalleled.

No wonder David penned these familiar words found in Psalm 23:2-3:

He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

God insisted that David find time in his life to rest and recharge. And, God provided that rest and recharging. That is good advice for us, even as we begin a new day.

God longs for us to rely on Him as a source of rest, restoration, and recharging in our terribly busy lives. If we will bend our selfish human wills to His perfect will, God will lead us beside still waters and make us lie down in green pastures. Having experienced His restorative touch on our lives, we will better be able to go out and continue to serve Him faithfully.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.