Friday, November 1, 2019

Sent By God

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“As you sent me into the world,
I have sent them into the world.”
—John 17:18

As I stated at the beginning of each one of the last few blog posts, in the moments before Jesus was arrested by the armed emissaries of the high priest in the Garden of Gethsemane, He prayed a magnificent prayer. Bible teachers often refer to this as “Jesus’ High Priestly Prayer.” Certainly, this prayer shows Jesus in the role of priest to His followers. It also expresses the highest of spiritual ideals.

For the next few blog posts, I intend to focus on this prayer of Jesus. It is my hope that by sharing verses from this prayer with you, you will find, as I have found, great comfort and great blessing from the words of our Savior.

Jesus continues this magnificent prayer with these words, found in John 17:13-19:

“I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.

“My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.

“As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.”

When we apprehend the fact that we are, indeed, Christ’s ambassadors to a needy and troubled world, we must also understand that Jesus has sent us into the world even as God the Father sent Him into the world. As we begin a new day, we should be able to take comfort in that fact.

 

Copyright © 2019 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.