Monday, February 20, 2017

Rubbing Salt

 

[Photo of Scripture verse]


“Let everyone be subject
to the governing authorities…”
—Romans 13:1a

Have you ever felt strongly about something and then had someone point out that your viewpoint may not exactly coincide with your Christian faith?

A couple of days ago, I shared a verse from Romans 13 regarding respect for authorities. As some readers may know, I obtain the verse on which I base each daily blog post from the Biblegateway website. Imagine my chagrin when today’s verse popped up and it was a continuation of the chapter from which I shared previously.

Instead of simply feature the one disconnected verse, I thought I would get this entire section out of the way. So, here’s the whole passage from the pen of the Apostle Paul from Romans 13:1-7:

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.

For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Reading this passage with my current state of mind is very much like rubbing salt in a wound. I don’t know if you’ve ever actually had that excruciating experience. I have had a super-saturated saline solution accidentally poured into a large open wound on my foot when a nurse thought she was using a lesser percentage of saline. It hurts quite a lot.

Why do I feel this way? Because all of my presuppositions and natural political inclinations strongly create in me the belief that the less government intrudes into our lives the better. I believe that the government should provide a very well-trained and well-equipped military to protect our freedoms. I believe the government should keep our food safe and make certain pharmaceuticals are safe and effective.

But, I believe that welfare and social services belong in the private sector, particularly a responsibility of the church. Beyond these few things, I want the government to stay out of my life.

And, yet... The Apostle Paul instructs me to give respect to the civil authorities and to pay my taxes and to do all this because God has empowered these authorities—no matter how much I may not like them.

Is it possible that this is a lesson I need to learn with greater clarity? Is that why Biblegateway posted a second verse from this passage?

Well, I hope to not have to write about this subject again for quite some time. And, just maybe you can identify with how I feel.

Even if you come from the other side of the political spectrum, just hearken back to how you felt when the opposite party was in power.

In any case, God expects us to obey those in authority over us. I will try to do this. How about you?

 

Copyright © 2017 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.