Wednesday, February 1, 2017

“Please, let me help you.”

 

[Photo of Scripture verse]


“Carry each other’s burdens, and in this
way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”
—Galatians 6:2

Some people always seem to reach out to others and extend a helping hand. It’s just the way they’re wired. Or, perhaps, it’s the way their parents taught them to act. Or, maybe, they have a deeper, more spiritual motivation. The selflessness of these people always warms my heart.

I am someone who has had to deal with the loss of my ability to do many things. Afflicted with profound progressive osteoarthritis of the knees, hips, and back, there are many things that I can no longer do for myself. For example: I cannot climb stairs. I cannot put air in the tires of my vehicle. I cannot walk even moderate distances. I could go on, but you get the point.

My disease, which began in 1998 and became full blown in 2003, has transformed me from someone who was very self-sufficient to someone who constantly has to rely on the help of other people. It’s been very hard for me to get used to asking other people to help me. So, when someone comes along who actually reaches out to me and offers to help without me asking, I am always so very grateful that it often moves me to tears.

Helping others is exactly what God expects we “Christ’s-ones” to do on a regular basis.

Since I cannot do so many things for myself, I do try to do what I can to help others. For example, I am really good with computers, desktop publishing, website development and maintenance, writing, editing, and similar skills that baffle most people. Therefore, when I learn of someone who might need my help in the areas where I have some expertise, I reach out to them. I’m sure that there is likely even much more that I could do to help others in need. I sincerely hope God will prompt me when I don’t clearly see an opportunity to be more helpful.

The Apostle Paul expressed rather succinctly the way we Christians should act toward each other when it comes to being helpful, as recorded in Galatians 6:2:

Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Notice the use of the term “the law of Christ.” This verse is not talking about the Law recorded in the Old Testament. It is talking about a new law. A law created by the Son of God Himself. It’s a way of behaving toward our fellow believers. It’s a way of expressing gratitude for the love that God has shown toward us. It’s a way of honoring Christ through obedience to His will for our lives.

Very likely, every Christian reading this blog post is doing exactly what Paul suggests. For those of us who far too often need your help, let me tell you how very grateful I am for your kindness expressed to me in Jesus’ Name.

If for some reason you become one who finds yourself needing help, I hope your brothers and sisters in Christ will literally flock to your aid. And, then, as you have opportunity to help others, I hope you will do so.

Imagine, just for a moment, what a wonderful experience the Family of God would be if we set ourselves to work helping each other, bearing one another’s burdens, and so fulfilling the law of Christ. Why, it would certainly be a Family of which people would want to become a part. And, wouldn’t that be quite wonderful?

 

Copyright © 2017 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.