Thursday, April 21, 2016

Power of the Cross

 

[Graphic of a cross with words superimposed]


“For the message of the cross is
foolishness to those who are
perishing, but to us who are
being saved it is the power of God.”
—1 Corinthians 1:18

Every time I see someone wearing a cross I have to resist asking, “I see you’re wearing cross. Is it just a piece of jewelry, or does it have some significance?”

I’ve actually asked that question a few times. I haven’t really gotten much of an answer. Most people seem either embarrassed or annoyed by my question. It appears that to many the cross has become a fashion statement rather than a deeply moving spiritual symbol.

The true meaning of the cross actually holds great power. Our salvation was culminated on the cross.

The Apostle Paul offered these words in 1 Corinthians 1:18:

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Christians have to understand they will never fit into regular society. Jesus even acknowledged this when He prayed for us in John 17:15-18:

“My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.

“They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.

“Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.“As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.”

Whether we wear a cross or not, the power of the cross resides within us. Through Jesus, His power over the cross has become our power.

Let us this day claim the power of the cross to overcome the darkness of sin in this world.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.