Friday, January 15, 2016

No Greater Love

 

[Photo of the globe in God's hands with Scripture verse superimposed]


“For God did not send his Son into
the world to condemn the world,
but to save the world through him.”
—John 3:17

One of my all time favorite songs comes from the Broadway production of A Chorus Line. Here are the lyrics:

Kiss today goodbye,
The sweetness and the sorrow
Wish me luck, the same to you
But I can’t reget what I did for love,
What I did for love.

Look, my eyes are dry,
The gift was ours to borrow
It’s as if we always knew
And I won't forget what I did for love,
What I did for love.

Gone, love is never gone,
As we travel on,
Love’s what we’ll remember.

Kiss today goodbye,
And point me toward tomorrow
We did what we had to do
Won’t forget,
Can’t regret what I did for love.
What I did for love…
What I did for love…
What I did for love.

The song “What I Did for Love” was written by Edward Lawrence Kleban, Marvin Hamlisch, and Edward Kleban. It has hauntingly soulful lyrics and a very wistful melody.

When I listen to that song, particularly on a day like today, I cannot help but hear God say, “Do you know how much I love you? Do you know what I did for love?”

The answer comes to us in Jesus’ own words, recorded in John 3:16-17:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

There is no greater love. And, we are the recipients of that amazing love.

In case you’re not familiar with the song I referenced above, here’s an example of it from the new cast album of A Chorus Line:

 



(Note: Your browser must support Adobe Flash in order to view this video)

 

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.