Thursday, April 9, 2015

Deeply Rooted

 

[Photo of a tree with big roots and with words superimposed]


“I pray that out of his glorious riches he
may strengthen you with power through
his Spirit in your inner being…”
—Ephesians 3:16

I woke this day,
the sun shines bright.
I pray for God
to hold me tight.

As I go forth
to do His will,
I pray that He
will guard me still.

Many of you may know the nighttime child's prayer that begins: “Now I lay me down to sleep …” But, how many of you know the child’s morning prayer that I quoted above?

A prayer in the morning and one at night. Starting our day with God and ending it with Him, as well. This is, indeed, a most excellent discipline.

Prayer plays such an important role in the life of a believer. The Apostle Paul clearly recognized the importance of prayer when he wrote these words in Ephesians 3:14-21:

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

As we begin this new day, let’s begin our day in quiet at the throne of God’s grace. As we start the day with prayer, let us pray for each other.

Let us mention each other by name and pray as Paul did, “that out of His glorious riches God may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your heart through faith.”

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.