Monday, April 20, 2015

The Antidote for a “Gloomy Gus”

 

[Photo of pierced hands with words superimposed]


“Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth”
—Isaiah 49:13a

I don’t always feel joyful. In fact, most of the time I’m a “Gloomy Gus.” I walk around feeling sorry for myself, angry at the world, grumpy, miserable, and depressed. At least that seems to be my most natural disposition.

Yet, I can’t help having to stifle a chuckle when I hear a particular children’s rhyme in my head:

Nobody loves me!
Everybody hates me!
Guess I'll go eat worms!

Of course the rhyme is not true. While many people don’t seem to like me very much, others seem blissfully unaware of what a wretch I am and even seem to enjoy my company. Some even seem to feel that time spent with me is worthwhile.

The best news of all is that God loves me! And, do you know what? God loves you, too.

As the Prophet Isaiah wrote in Isaiah 49:13, 16:

Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains!

For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.

See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.

Imagine that! God has engraved our names on the palms of His hands! He obviously loves us!

So, I will put away my gloom. I will stop being a grump. I will lift my eyes to the Lord. And, I will invite you to join me.

This day, let’s rejoice in Him!

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.