Tuesday, December 8, 2020

The Only Way

 

[Photo of a one-way sign]


Jesus answered, “I am the way and
the truth and the life. No one comes
to the Father except through me.”
—John 14:6

To select the Scripture verse that appears at the beginning of each of my blog posts, I use an on-line service that provides a verse for each day of the year. So as to not become redundant with that service that some of the readers of my blog may use for themselves, I always choose a time frame several years in the past. That way, my daily choice of a verse for a particular day, will not be the same verse as that service is offering for the actual day of the month for this current year.

Even so, over the many years I have posted blogs, certain verses seem to appear at least once each year. This is the case for the Scripture verse at the beginning of this blog post. The verse found in John 14:6 is one that many students of the Bible often quote. It is a key verse in understanding why followers of Jesus have a very exclusive spiritual connection to God.

In these days of forced diversity for political and social engineering purposes, it is not at all popular to hold to exclusive beliefs. If we follow the cultural leaders of our day, we will adopt either no religion at all, or we will adopt the attitude that all religions are the same, and all offer an acceptable pathway to a relationship with God. The Scripture verse at the beginning of this blog post, which contains the very words of the Lord Jesus Christ, belies the cultural impetus of the current norms for our society.

Christianity, or at least orthodox Christianity, is a very exclusive religion. As Christians, we accept Jesus’ teaching in this verse that He, and He alone, is the only one through whom we can connect with God and have a relationship with Him. This belief disturbs many people, even many so-called Christians of a less orthodox theological position. Nevertheless, I choose to take Jesus at His word.

The exclusivity of orthodox Christianity can prove to serve as a solid bedrock upon which an individual may construct the entire theological formation of one’s life. It’s not that we hold other people’s faith expression in derision or disdain. Rather, we simply believe what Jesus said and hold securely to the truth that belief in Him is the only pathway to God.

I can’t discern how this particular verse may affect you. But for me, I derive a great deal of comfort from knowing that, through Jesus, I can have a vital and active and fulfilling relationship with God—knowing that He loves me and that before the foundation of the earth He chose me to belong to Himself. I hope that reality is true for you, too.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.