Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Delightful Protection

 

[Photo of a man reading the Bible]


Trouble and distress have come upon
me, but your commands are my delight.
—Psalm 119:143

I once visited an older man in the hospital. He had experienced a number of serious health issues in recent years. He had received treatment in the hospital several times during that period. This time he looked very ill. His starkly pale skin and labored breathing gave me insight into the struggle he faced. I wondered if he would survive much longer.

“No matter what happens to me,” he told me through a raspy voice. “I know that God is with me. He has led me through life all these years. And, He will lead me through death, too.”

He smiled a bit as he finished his statement. I could see a peaceful light in his eyes and I knew he meant what he had said. He truly did rest in the loving arms of God.

Not long after my visit, in the middle of the night, this dear man passed from this life into the presence of the living Lord Jesus Christ. I pictured in my mind the welcoming embrace of our Savior. This faithful servant of God had finally completed his assignment here on earth. He had moved on to his place of eternal life. There he would spend eternity in the presence of God. He would join the countless millions of faithful followers who had gone before him. Together they would spend eternity worshipping this God who loved them and gave His one and only Son to die in their place in order to cover their sins with His own precious blood.

The declaration of the Psalmist in the Scripture verse at the beginning of this blog post makes it quite clear. The Psalmist speaks words that contain a great truth: no matter what may happen to one who follows God, no trouble or distress will separate that one from delighting in the commands of the God who loves His chosen ones with His unfailing and undying love.

I hope this declaration brings comfort and assurance into your life this day. God’s love never fails us. He always has our best interest at heart. He always leads us along the right pathway. He continually provides us with delightful protection. All we have to do is to follow His leading in obedience to His perfect will and His written Word.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.