Wednesday, August 12, 2020

What's Inside?

 

[Photo of a man using a stethoscope to listen ot his own heart]


Now I rejoice in what was suffered for
you, and I fill up in my flesh what is
still lacking in regard to Christ’s
afflictions, for the sake of his body,
which is the church. I have become its
servant by the commission God gave me
to present to you the word of God in
its fullness—the mystery that
has been kept hidden for ages and
generations, but is now disclosed to
the saints. To them God has chosen
to make known among the Gentiles the
glorious riches of this mystery, which
is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

We proclaim him, admonishing and
teaching everyone with all wisdom,
so that we may present everyone
perfect in Christ. To this end I labor,
struggling with all his energy,
which so powerfully works in me.
—Colossians 1:24-29

I hear lots of talk about “hope” these days. I imagine that’s because it seems as if we live in somewhat hopeless times. Quite often, hope seems very elusive. It’s almost as if hope has become a great mystery.

In the Scripture passage at the beginning of this blog post, the Apostle Paul talks about “the glorious riches of this mystery.” I’ve noticed that Paul writes a lot about “mystery” in his letters to the fledgling churches of the first century A.D. In fact, one electronic search through the text of the New Testament discloses no less than 15 references to the word “mystery” in Paul’s letters.

Notice, in the passage above, that the Apostle makes a clear explanation of the particular “mystery” he writes about to the church at Colosse. He describes the mystery as “Christ in you, the hope of glory.” In other words, our hope of spending eternity with God rests on the Presence of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, dwelling within us by the power of the Holy Spirit. That means the source of our hope, which seems like a great mystery, really isn’t so mysterious after all.

Every once in a while, some filmmaker captures an idea more succinctly than a writer could present in pages and pages of prose. A friend sent me a link to this video. As I watched it, I thought, “Here’s an example of one such case, where an audio-visual image portrays the ‘hard-to-describe’ with great clarity.” Please click below to watch this video clip.


[Graphic of a play video icon]


Pretty neat. Don’t you agree? So, what’s inside of you?

 

Copyright © 2020 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.