Friday, December 13, 2019

The Shining Face of Love

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“Let your face shine on your servant;
save me in your unfailing love.”
—Psalm 31:16

Most everyone likes love songs. One of my all-time favorite singers is the late Karen Carpenter. Her voice can best be described as “haunting.” She had rich, dark tones to her voice that, coupled with the extremely talented keyboarding of her brother, Richard, and with their use of multi-track recording produced some of the most memorable love songs of the last half-century.

King David wrote many love songs to God. In some of them, like the one featured today, David pleads for God’s help because he is under attack from his enemies. King Saul is chasing David and trying to kill him. David seeks refuge in God, all the while singing praises to the very One from whom he seeks aid.

Notice the significance of this brief, one line sentence in this Psalm of love, praise, and petition, found in Psalm 31:16:

Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love.

David is saying, “Look at me, God. Please look at me. Let me see the glory of Your face. Let me bask in the wonderfulness of a close relationship with You. And, let Your unfailing love wash over me and save me from my enemies.”

At the beginning of another new day, we can certainly join with David in singing this Psalm of love and praise. God is for us. No one can come against us. His love permeates us to the very core of our beings. Let’s lift our voices in praise to the God who chose us to belong to Himself. And, let’s bask in the love He sends in our direction.

 

Copyright © 2019 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.