Wednesday, October 30, 2019

We Know God

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“I have revealed you to those whom you gave
me out of the world. They were yours; you gave
them to me and they have obeyed your word.
Now they know that everything you have given
me comes from you. For I gave them the words
you gave me and they accepted them. They knew
with certainty that I came from you, and they
believed that you sent me. I pray for them.
I am not praying for the world, but for
those you have given me, for they are yours.
All I have is yours, and all you have is
mine. And glory has come to me through them.”
—John 17:6-10

As I stated at the beginning of the last blog post, in the moments before Jesus was arrested by the armed emissaries of the high priest in the Garden of Gethsemane, He prayed a magnificent prayer. Bible teachers often refer to this as “Jesus’ High Priestly Prayer.” Certainly, this prayer shows Jesus in the role of priest to His followers. It also expresses the highest of spiritual ideals. For the next few blog posts, it is my hope that by sharing verses from this prayer with you, you will find, as I have found, great comfort and great blessing from the words of our Savior.

Jesus continues this magnificent prayer with these words, found in John 17:6-10:

“I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.”

How fortunate we are, those of us who follow Jesus. As He said in this portion of His prayer, He has revealed the very essence of God the Father to us. We know so much more about God than we normally would know because we have seen Jesus through God’s written Word and through the testimony of countless saints down through the centuries.

As we begin another new day, let’s grasp onto this knowledge of God and draw strength and comfort from knowing that He loves us with His everlasting love and has our very best interests in the forefront of His mind.

 

Copyright © 2019 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.