Thursday, September 12, 2019

Clothed With Salvation

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in
my God. For he has clothed me with garments of
salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.”
—Isaiah 61:10

Do you spend time planning, thinking about, and carefully choosing your wardrobe each day? If you do, you are a far better person than I am.

Back in 1975, John T. Molloy wrote a book titled Dress for Success. This book intended to help people in business choose a wardrobe that would greatly enhance their chances of rising upward in whatever company for which they worked. The book made a huge splash in the business community. I read it carefully from cover to cover. Then, I dropped the book into the trash can.

As someone who kind people refer to as “chubby” and who my PCP terms “morbidly obese,” I have long had difficulty finding clothes that fit. In fact, I seriously doubt that any wardrobe choice would make me appear thin and handsome. So, the whole idea of spending a significant block of time designing a success-assuring wardrobe seems laughable to me.

As Christians, it’s quite common in the current church to disclaim any concern about what people wear to worship on Saturday night or Sunday. I understand that what someone wears really should not interfere with the way other believers receive that one into the fellowship of the church. But, we followers of Jesus do have a unique bit of clothing that shapes our lives. The Prophet Isaiah wrote about this special clothing in Isaiah 61:10:

I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

Through the death and resurrection of Jesus, and the power of His shed blood on the cross, God has clothed you and me with salvation and righteousness. We wear unique clothing that signifies our membership in God’s eternal Kingdom.

As we move out into this new day, let’s live our lives worthy of the clothing in which we have been clothed. Let’s honor God’s choice to clothe us in salvation and righteousness by living in a way that honors Him and magnifies to others His great and powerful love.

 

Copyright © 2019 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.