Monday, October 22, 2018

This Is Why I Love You, Lord

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“I will bow down toward your holy temple and
will praise your name for your love and your
faithfulness, for you have exalted above
all things your name and your word.”
—Psalm 138:2

For those of us who believe in the life-transforming power of God through His Son, Jesus, worship is a very natural part of our devotion to God.

While some may suggest that the word “worship” covers almost anything that a believer does with God in mind, I have always preferred to think of worship as a very focused time, specifically set aside, to spend time telling God how much we appreciate Him simply for Who He is.

I do not believe that worship should focus on what God has done for us, or on sharing with God our requests of Him. Instead, worship at its best should solely focus on all of the attributes of God that He has revealed to us in His Word. And, worship should also focus on the way He has applied His attributes to our personal lives. In effect, we are telling God: “Please let me list for you these reasons why I love you…”

While I don’t really want to present my view as too dogmatic about the nature of worship, I do take note that, throughout the Psalms, the various writers often do exactly what I’m suggesting. They tend to focus on the qualities or attributes of God that bring them delight in their personal lives.

For example, note what King David writes in Psalm 138:2:

I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word.

Here King David acknowledges that God’s qualities, or attributes, of love and faithfulness inspire David to bow down and worship God. David also acknowledges that a unique quality of God is that He, God, has exalted His name and His word above all things.

As we start another new day, let’s take a few moments to simply express to God what we love about Him. I know that He delights in the praise of His people. So, God will enjoy hearing what we have to say, just as we inwardly enjoy it when someone shares with us what they love about us.

 

Copyright © 2018 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.