Monday, October 15, 2018

Our Identity

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“By the grace given me I say to every one
of you: Do not think of yourself more highly
than you ought, but rather think of yourself
with sober judgment, in accordance with
the measure of faith God has given you.”
—Romans 12:3

When you look in the mirror what do you see?

I’m told that, if you’re a woman, you are seldom, if ever, satisfied with the image you see in the mirror. While people that love you dearly may look at you with a fondness that surpasses what you might even imagine, what you see in the mirror is flaws.

I wish that were not so. I wish that women would see themselves the way God sees them: as the beautiful, smart, loving, and kind examples of His mercy, grace, and abiding love that they are.

Likewise, if you’re a man, you may look in a mirror and see only the qualities that mark you as a “real” man. Reportedly, men don’t necessarily see their flaws the way women see theirs. In fact, men often tend to see themselves in a much better light than others see them.

I know that sometimes I am startled when I look in a mirror. Or, more so, when I walk past a storefront window and see all of me at the same time, I am often shocked. “You are a truly ugly, fat man,” I will say to myself.

While most of the time I probably think far more highly of myself than reality, that brief glimpse in the storefront window quickly dispels any notion I have about my own attractiveness.

Again, that is not how God sees me. And, while I may have difficulty comprehending His reality for me, I am so very grateful that it’s true.

The Apostle Paul offers these words of instruction, found in Romans 12:3:

By the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

Our identity, that is our true identity, is found in the Lord Jesus Christ. We need to strive to see ourselves through His eyes. His love for us does not cloud His vision. Rather, His love for us gives Him the clearest possible vision when He looks at us.

As we move out into another day, let’s remember that our identity is not judged by any mirror, nor by what anyone may think about us. Rather, our identity is determined by God’s view of us—seen through His eyes of love. And that, dear ones, should bring each of us great comfort.

 

Copyright © 2018 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.