Wednesday, July 25, 2018

We Must Believe

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“And without faith it is impossible to please
God, because anyone who comes to him
must believe that he exists and that he
rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
—Hebrews 11:6

I cannot remember a time in my life when I did not believe in God. I was raised in a Christian home. My adoptive parents were devoted to Christ and His Kingdom. They taught me to follow Jesus.

I was fortunate that my family attended a Bible-believing church where the gospel was taught and Biblical truth was honored. Over the years of my childhood and youth, I had many fine Christians pour themselves into my life.

I was blessed to attend a Christian college where I learned even more about the Bible and about how God connects with every aspect of my life. I even studied New Testament Greek for two years, so that I could have the privilege of reading the New Testament in its original language.

But, none of this background would matter if I did not truly believe that God exists, that He loves me, that He sent His Son, Jesus, to die in my place, that He has forgiven my sins, and that He has a place for me with Him for all eternity.

Over the last twenty years when I have struggled with numerous health problems, I have had many moments of deep discouragement. But, I have never doubted that God is working out His plan for my life. Even when I don’t understand the things that have occurred, I have never stopped believing.

Those words may sound to some like an arrogant and boastful, even prideful, statement. But, I know that the only reason my faith has remained strong is that the Holy Spirit has lovingly ministered to me in my darkest hours. It is not at all a testimony about me and the strength of my faith. Quite to the contrary, it is only and always a testimony to God’s faithfulness in preserving the strong sense of His Presence in my life.

Therefore, when the writer to the Hebrews pens these following words, he, too, is giving a testimony of the power of the Holy Spirit to enable believers to hold on to their faith. Note what the writer declares in Hebrews 11:6:

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

God gives us the gift of faith. He enables us to believe. He fosters and strengthens that faith. He alone is worthy to receive praise for what He has done in and through us.

As a new day begins, let us celebrate the gift of faith and God’s sustaining power through the loving Presence of the Holy Spirit. We do well to realize that He is the beginning, middle, and ending of the timeline of our faith. All praise, honor, and glory goes to God alone.

 

Copyright © 2018 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.