Friday, July 20, 2018

Treat Each Other This Way

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“In your relationships with one another,
have the same mindset as Christ Jesus…”
—Philippians 2:5a

Most people look for a good example to follow in their lives. And, most people have observed someone whom they would truly like to emulate, insofar as the way that person relates to other people.

I have a dear friend and professional colleague whom I have long admired. He is very intelligent, quick thinking, perceptive, and a genuine joy to have as a partner in any work endeavor. He is also personable.

But, the quality I admire most in him is his ability to listen carefully to what people are saying around him without ever becoming provoked enough to speak out. As a result, when he does speak, people really listen carefully to what he says.

I am not cut from that cloth. I am a very opinionated person. I have a fairly wide range of interests and often will feel compelled to offer my opinion, whether anyone wants it or not. I well remember how my father-in-law felt about me when I first began dating his daughter. He remarked, “He thinks he knows everything. That’s very annoying!”

I understand why he felt that way. I’m glad that, over the many years of our marriage before he went home to be with the Lord, my father-in-law grew to respect and appreciate me, in spite of my failure to keep my mouth shut.

If we are to serve as effective ambassadors of Christ and His Kingdom, the Apostle Paul knew we “Christ’s-ones” would need a good example. So, Paul offered these words, found in Philippians 2:5-8:

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross!

Especially in our relationships with fellow believers, but also in our relationships with all people, we need to follow Christ’s example.

Let me be so bold as to suggest that we do just that this new day. I’m fairly certain that, if we follow Jesus’ pattern in this regard, we will bless others and become blessed ourselves.

 

Copyright © 2018 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.