Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Our Only Desire

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has
nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my
heart may fail, but God is the strength of
my heart and my portion forever.”
—Psalm 73:25-26

Today, we will hear from a professional musician.

“What? A ‘professional musician’? Scandalous! Why in our church we don’t believe in paying musicians. Only those who wish to volunteer are welcome to participate in our services!”

Over my 69 years of life, but more particularly in the last four decades or so, I’ve encountered this somewhat negative idea several times, particularly in Evangelical churches. The idea that a church might pay a double quartet of singers to form the foundation of a choir brings such a strident response that you might think someone had suggested serving hard liquor during Holy Communion.

I realize that some feel the hiring of professional musicians would discourage non-professionals from participating or even make the non-professionals feel somehow inadequate. Instead, in those places where professional musicians bolster choir performance in worship, or perform other music to the glory of God in worship services, a level of excellence arises that surely pleases God. The professionals encourage the non-professionals to become better musicians.

King David, no slouch as a musician himself, employed professional musicians from the tribe of Levi and paid them to write Psalms and perform music during worship. Good enough for King David, good enough for me.

For example, Asaph was one of those professionals whom David hired. Notice the following verses from one of his Psalms, as recorded in Psalm 73:25-26:

Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Whenever some health issue or other difficulty comes into our lives, it is reasonable that we might be moved to consider what really counts in our lives. At such times, we might long to be like Asaph and acknowledge that “earth has nothing we desire besides you” O God.

In moments of distress, even relatively minor ones, our hearts can soar when we realize that the love of God is the strength of our hearts and our portion forever.

Maybe you’re one who is fighting something far more deadly than a minor issue. Perhaps cancer has you in its insidious grip. Or, maybe heart disease assails you. Or, maybe some other deadly health issue has risen to smack you around.

Please be encouraged this day. God is our portion. He is the strength of our hearts. No matter what we may face, we do not face it alone. He is with us every step of the way. He is now and ever will be our only desire.

 

Copyright © 2017 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.