Monday, June 12, 2017

He Always Answers

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“I call on the Lord in my distress, and he answers me.”
—Psalm 120:1

Have you ever tried to place a telephone call to reach someone and all you heard was a busy signal? In the age of call-waiting that may be a rarity today. Instead of hearing that awful buzz-buzz-buzz of the busy signal, we hear the ring-ring-ring until the voice mail or answering machine picks up.

Many years ago, a few months after I married my beloved sweetheart, we drove from Houghton, NY to near Philadelphia, PA to attend the wedding of my wife’s college suite mate. It was a very lovely wedding. But, on our way back to Houghton, about an hour into the eight-hour drive, our car broke down on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The car was only a few months old, so a breakdown was not anticipated.

This was in 1968, so we did not have cellular telephones. Our breakdown occurred near an exit ramp and we were able to coast part way up the ramp. I walked to the toll booth to place a call to my dad. The phone rang and rang and rang. I was so very frustrated. Where could he be? Didn’t he realize I needed his help?

When we get ourselves in trouble, we can always “place a call” to God and He always answers. He always hears our call for help. He always responds. The Psalmist noted this in Psalm 120:1:

I call on the Lord in my distress, and he answers me.

We can begin this new day knowing that if some difficulty befalls us, God will hear our call for help. He will keep us safely in the hollow of His mighty hand.

I don’t know about you, but I am comforted to know that we will never get voice mail or a busy signal when we call on the God who loves us with His everlasting love.

 

Copyright © 2017 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.