Friday, July 22, 2016

What’s It Like In Heaven?

 

[Drawing of a person sitting on a question mark]


“Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name…”
—Isaiah 12:4a

Not long ago, someone asked me, “When we get to heaven, what will we do there?”

I thought it was a rather intriguing question. I didn’t exactly know how to answer. But, never one to shy away from a challenge, I gave an answer anyway.

“I suppose,” I said, “That we will have tasks to do that God wants us to accomplish for His glory. I can’t imagine what those tasks might be. After all, the angels already perform a host of tasks. Since they’ve been doing their jobs for millions of years, I can’t imagine that we will be taking over any of their responsibilities.

“I don’t think that we will just lounge around all day. But, I expect that a good bit of our time will be spent worshipping God and giving Him our adoration. He has redeemed us by the precious blood of His one and only Son, Jesus. The very least we can do is express praise and thanksgiving for this great gift He has given to us.”

As soon as the words left my lips, I knew that they were completely inadequate to express the wonders and magnificence that would face us once we arrive on the heavenly shore. I would like to think that we will spend a considerable amount of time during our early days in heaven exploring. Perhaps those who have gone before us will greet us, take us by the hand, and lead us to some of the more spectacular discoveries they have made.

“Come with us, Dean!” my dad and mom will say. “You will simply not believe all that we have to show you!”

Since I’m an adopted child, perhaps I will meet my birth mother and father in heaven for the first time. I know very little about my birth father except that he was a pastor who had an affair with the church organist—my birth mother. I am more fortunate than some adoptees in that I know my birth mother’s name, but not my birth father’s. I have found out a little more about my birth mother in the last ten years. I know that she lived into her 90s. I also know she was devoted to her church. It is my fondest hope that both my birth mother and birth father were “Christ-one’s” and that I will see them in heaven.

I must confess that my overwhelming loyalty belongs to the wonderful adoptive parents who raised me with such love and care. They are the ones who led me to Jesus. They are the ones who helped to plant the seed of faith in my heart.

The Prophet gives us some indication of what we might do in heaven. Take note of his words recorded in Isaiah 12:4:

In that day you will say: “Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted.”

Actually, spending time exalting the name of the Lord is not a bad way to spend time in heaven. God has given us everything. Every breath that we take, every beat of our hearts, is a precious gift from Him. He has loved us and saved us and led us by the power of the Holy Spirit every moment of every day of our lives. Certainly, giving Him exalted praise is a worthy occupation for us citizens of His Kingdom.

No, I don’t know for certain what we will do in heaven. But, I do know what God expects of us as we finish our days here on earth. God wants us to love Him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. And, He wants us to love our neighbor with the same devotion and same intensify that we love ourselves.

That’s a pretty big assignment for today. I invite you to join me in fulfilling our roles here on earth as God’s ambassadors of His mercy, love, and grace. Okay?

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.