Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Surrendered Life

 

[Photo of a butterfly with words superimposed]


“For whoever wants to save their life will lose it,
but whoever loses their life for me will find it.”
—Matthew 16:25

We tend to hold very tightly to those things that we want to preserve as a part of our life. It’s a natural tendency. Who can blame us?

We may have worked very hard to achieve a particular goal. We’ve invested a great deal of time. We may have invested a great deal of money. We may have made serious sacrificial choices.

Once we have the fruit of whatever goal we’ve pursued, we’re certainly not going to let go of that fruit. And yet, to achieve an even higher goal, we must hold everything we have in an open hand.

Jesus instructs us thusly in Matthew 16:25:

For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

In order to become fully obedient followers of our Savior and Lord, we must surrender every aspect of our being to Him. We must let go of every quality that defines our very being and allow Him to mold us into the people He wants us to be.

I’ve shared this gospel song before and it’s most appropriate in this context.

All to Jesus I surrender.
All to Him I freely give.
I will ever love and trust Him.
In His Presence daily live.

I surrender all. I surrender all.
All to Thee my blessed Savior;
I surrender all.

As we begin another day, let’s truly surrender all we are and all we have to the God who loves us and who waits patiently to take our surrendered life and use us for His glory.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.