Friday, June 17, 2016

The True Source of Strength

 

[Photo of a deer with words superimposed]


“The Sovereign Lord is my strength…”
—Habakkuk 3:19a

Every person on earth draws strength to face the day from some source. As believers in the life-transforming power of the risen Lord Jesus Christ, our source of strength comes from the God who loves us with His everlasting love.

The Prophet has made this very clear in Habakkuk 3:19:

The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights.

I particularly like this verse because I have not been able to climb stairs since 2003. The profound progressive osteo-arthritis of the knees, hips, and back that limits my mobility certainly keeps me from “prancing like a deer,” as I once did.

Every step that I now can takes is a precious gift from God. The two canes on which I rely in order to walk short distances are precious gifts from God. The powered wheel chair I use for longer distances is a precious gift from God. And, my continued ability to walk around within my home without using either my canes or my powered wheel chair is most certainly a precious gift from God.

In our spiritual lives, as well as in our physical lives, God is our strength. He enables us to achieve ever more Christ-likeness in our hearts, minds, and behavior. God, who is the Giver of every good and perfect gift, grants us the ability to act as His ambassadors to a troubled and deeply needy world.

So, as we begin this day, let’s thank Him and praise Him for the strength He lovingly provides.

In Thomas Chisholm’s marvelous hymn, “Great is Thy Faithfulness,” he included this phrase: “...strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!”

Truly God is our strength, for this day and every day. May all praise, glory, honor, and majesty ever abide with His blessed and holy name.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.