Wednesday, November 11, 2015

On the Right Path

 

[Photo of a person walking in the sand with words superimposed]


“So I say, walk by the Spirit…”
—Galatians 5:16a

In his wonderful book, The Saving Life of Christ, the late Col. W. Ian Thomas, the founder of the Torchbearers in the U.K., talks about flying on instruments during World War II. Thomas explains that after turning from the down wind leg, the pilot would hear a tone in either his left or right headphone if he strayed off the proper landing approach. The tones kept him on the straight path.

Thomas likened this technology to the way the Holy Spirit will guide our lives as Christians if we will allow Him to do so.

Thomas explains, “I pray each day, if I’m off to the left, nudge me to the right. If I’m off to the right, nudge me to the left. If I commit a boo, pick me up and nudge me to keep going forward.”

I really like that image of how we can have that kind of intimate relationship with the Holy Spirit. The Apostle Paul shared these words, as recorded in Galatians 5:16-17:

So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh.

They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.

This day, let us walk in the center of God’s will by allowing the Holy Spirit to guide us. He will surely keep us on the right path.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.