Friday, November 6, 2015

He Took the Rap for Me

 

[Photo of a cross in the desert during a sunrise]


“God made him who had no sin to be sin for us…”
—2 Corinthians 5:21a

A lifetime ago, when I was a student at Houghton College in the winter of 1967, we performed Helen Kromer’s and Fredrick Silver’s musical review For Heaven's Sake.

Among Kromer’s unique lyrics was a soliloquy spoken by the narrator as an interlude between songs:

He took the rap for me.

But I don't know what
I ever did to deserve
the rap He says He
took for me.

Or, maybe that is
the rap pinned on me.

That I don't know what
I ever did to deserve
the rap He says He
took for me.

Blissfully unaware of our need for a Savior, we cruise through life until that moment when the Holy Spirit suddenly reveals what wretched sinners we really are. At that same moment, thankfully, the Spirit also reveals the great gift God has given us: salvation through His one and only Son, Jesus.

Writing to the Christians gathered in Corinth, the Apostle Paul reminds them in 2 Corinthians 5:21:

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

What a glorious reminder! Jesus took our place on a Roman cross of torture. The spotless Lamb of God has covered our sins with His precious blood.

We can begin this new day with joy. Our sins are forgiven. We have been washed clean. And, we have this good news to share with others.

Yes, He took the rap for me and for you. Praise God we’re clean from our sins, truly clean.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.