Monday, July 13, 2015

Thirsting for God

 

[Photo of a desert]


“You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you…”
—Psalm 63:1a

I have a friend who has traveled the world on business. He has been to many exotic places. He told me the most fascinating place for him was the Sahara Desert.

The thing that struck him the most when confronted by the vastness of that place was the overwhelming desire to constantly take a drink of water from his canteen. His guide kept reminding him to resist the urge to take a drink lest he run out of water.

He told me the urge was overwhelming. He wasn't actually thirsty, he was just compelled to fill his mouth with cool water.

King David experienced a spiritual longing that was every bit as strong and compelling as my friend's urge to take a drink of water. David wrote about this in Psalm 63:1-5:

You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.

Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.

I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

Let us fill the longing in our heart, mind, and soul with the many blessings that flow into our lives from the God who loves us with His everlasting love.

And, let us lift our voices in praise to Him this day. Let us acknowledge to everyone who crosses our pathway that God's love through His Son, Jesus, is better than life.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.