Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Facing Trials

 

[Photo of woman sitting on a dock with words superimposed]


“Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws.”
—Psalm 119:163b

Everyone faces trying circumstances at one time or another in his or her life. Sometimes the trial is minor. Sometimes the trial is life-shattering.

In reading the longest Psalm in the Bible, Psalm 119, we can see that the Psalmist felt his enemies were closing in on him. He alternates between lament and praise.

But praise for the faithfulness of God always wins out over the Psalmist’s laments. Here’s Psalm 119:163-168:

I hate and detest falsehood but I love your law. Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws.

Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. I wait for your salvation, Lord, and I follow your commands.

I obey your statutes, for I love them greatly. I obey your precepts and your statutes, for all my ways are known to you.

No matter what condition we find ourselves in this new day, God loves us, listens to our cry for help, and responds in the way that is best for us, just as He did in the trouble-filled days of the Psalmist.

Because of God’s unfailing mercy, grace, and love, we can face whatever may confront us this day.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.