Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A Fortress of Refuge

 

[Photo of tropical island with words superimposed]


“In you, Lord, I have taken refuge…”
—Psalm 71:1a

When you were in elementary school did you ever build a fort?

Growing up in the eastern edge of northwestern Pennsylvania, I used to spend many winter hours building an elaborate snow fort. Since I was the only male child on my side of East Main Street, I never had to worry about being attacked by marauding children. But I was certainly ready for any attack. I was safe and secure my icy fortress.

Sometimes, when the storms of life increase in ferocity, I often wish I could retreat to the safety of my fort.

Apparently, I am in good company. The Palmist seems to share my desire when he writes in Psalm 71:1-3:

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me; turn your ear to me and save me.

Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.

Life always offers challenges. As believers in the life-transforming power of the Lord Jesus Christ, we have the best possible place of refuge: safe in our Savior’s loving arms.

Let’s be certain tell God how grateful we are for His protective care.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.