Friday, December 12, 2014

We Belong to Him

 

[Photo of a park with words superimposed]


“I took you from the ends of the earth,
from its farthest corners I called you.”
—Isaiah 41:9

This time of year many people receive very special invitations. Perhaps a family member or friend has announced an impending marriage. You’ve been summoned to come from wherever you are and gather to celebrate this momentous event.

Or maybe your high school or college graduating class is holding a reunion. You’ve been strongly encouraged to travel "home" so you may become reacquainted with the people you spent significant time with in your younger years.

In each case, you’re being gathered for fellowship and it promises to be a happy and joyful time.

God also summons us. He sends the Holy Spirit to whisper words of mercy, grace, and love into the very depths of our hearts. God gathers us to Himself. He declares that we belong to Him. It is a time of great celebration in our lives when we recognize that He has chosen us and summoned us to Himself.

God declares the depth of His gathering love for us through the voice of the Prophet Isaiah in Isaiah 41:9-10:

I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you.

I said, “You are my servant”; I have chosen you and have not rejected you.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Let us take heart at the beginning of this new day that we belong to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Let's bask in the glory of His choosing. Let's allow sincere gratitude to well up in our hearts and minds.

And, let’s praise God that before the foundation of the earth He chose us to belong to Himself.

 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.