Friday, November 21, 2014

Why Change?

 

[Graphic of a sign]


“I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;
turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.”
—Psalm 17:6

Have you ever asked someone a question and that person didn’t answer you? Few things irritate me as much as asking a perfectly reasonable question and have the person whom I ask refuse to answer me.

When I was ten years old I was involved in a very serious bicycle accident in which I severely damaged my face. I’ve described this in a recent post, so I will not repeat the details.

When I returned to school, several children in my fifth grade class began to treat me quite cruelly. Once when four of these children surrounded me and began to hit me and call me names, I asked them why they were so mean to me and what I had done to make them so angry. They refused to answer me.

Their behavior carried all the way through the next four years of school. Finally, in the summer between ninth and tenth grade I took a self-defense course. When this group attacked me on the first day of tenth grade, I repelled their attack. They never bothered me again.

After all these years, I still do not have an answer to my question: “What have I done to make you so angry with me?”

Many other times in my life I’ve asked questions and have not received answers. As a result, when someone asks me a question, I always try to give them the courtesy of an answer.

What a comfort it is to know that the God who loves us always answers us. Sometimes His answer is "No!" Sometimes His answer is "Wait awhile!" Sometimes His answer is "Yes!" But God always gives us an answer.

Please read King David’s words from Psalm 17:6-8:

I call on you, my God, for you will answer me; turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.

Show me the wonders of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes.

Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings…

The God who loves us with His everlasting love always has our very best interest in mind. We can live confidently knowing He will always answer us.

And more so, we can live knowing His answer will come from the One who considers us “the apple of His eye.”

 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.