Friday, July 4, 2014

“Has God turned His back on America?”

 

[Photo of a flag with words superimposed]


“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
—2 Chronicles 7:14

As we approach the celebration of 238 years as a nation, I wonder if our nation has lost its way. Truthfully, I stopped wondering a long time ago.

Please read these words carefully:

My country tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing.
Land where my fathers died!
Land of the Pilgrim's pride!
From every mountain side,
Let freedom ring!

My native country, thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love.
I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills;
My heart with rapture fills
Like that above.

Let music swell the breeze,
And ring from all the trees
Sweet freedom's song.
Let mortal tongues awake;
Let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break,
The sound prolong.

Our father's God to, Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright
With freedom's holy light;
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God, our King!

Celebrating the founding of our nation, do you think that the majority of our citizens truly honor and revere these sentiments?

Perhaps a question even more important than, “Has our nation lost its way?” is the question, “Has our national sin caused God to turn His back on America?”

Note these words from Jeremiah 18:5-10:

Then the word of the Lord came to me. He said, “Can I not do with you, Israel, as this potter does?” declares the Lord. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, Israel.

“If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned.

“And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it.”

More than ever before in my lifetime, this is a day when we should fall to our knees and plead with God to send a great, sweeping revival. Let us join together to claim these words from 2 Chronicles 7:14:

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

May it be so, dear Lord!

It seems that we need to turn from our wicked ways and restore what’s missing in our nation.

[Graphic of a sign]

Here’s an appropriate musical reminder that I hope you will enjoy:

[Graphic of a play music arrow]


 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.

 

No comments: