Thursday, January 27, 2022

Inseparable Love - Part 1

 

[Photo of a wooden cross necklace with words superimposed]


“Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?”
—Romans 8:35a

For whatever deep psychological reasons, I have always been a very insecure person when it comes to interpersonal relationships. This interpersonal insecurity is in stark contrast with how secure I am within my own self. I am extraordinarily self-aware. Yet, when it comes to relating to other people, I would much rather isolate myself than experience an uncomfortable interaction with other individuals. Since I am now in my dotage, fortunately I have become much less bothered by my interpersonal insecurity. Nevertheless, I still remember how I often felt around other people when I was younger.

If someone told me that he or she liked me, or loved me, I always expected that one to stop liking me, or loving me, at any moment. My insecure behaviors often resulted in the people who liked me, or loved me, wanting to flee away from me. Their reaction to my interpersonal insecurity, of course, only served to validate those very feelings of interpersonal insecurity.

I share this information about me, so that I can make this point: fortunately, God’s love does not depend on our behaviors. No matter how insecure we may feel about His love, God’s love is an inseparable love.

The Apostle Paul confirms this in Romans 8:35-37:

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?

As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

We can totally rely on the inseparability of God’s love. Once He has chosen us as His dearly loved children, He never, ever stops loving us.

Let us respond this day to God’s inseparable love by greeting every person who crosses our pathway with that same kind of God-breathed love. In this tit-for-tat world, let us keep loving others no matter how they may behave. In this way we will model the inseparable love that God has for us.

 

Based on a blog originally posted on Thursday, January 21, 2016

Copyright © 2022 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.