Monday, June 22, 2020

Is It Real?

 

[Photo Aslan in clouds]


I am writing these things to you about
those who are trying to lead you astray.
As for you, the anointing you received
from him remains in you, and you do not
need anyone to teach you. But as his
anointing teaches you about all
things and as that anointing is real,
not counterfeit—just as it has
taught you, remain in him.

And now, dear children, continue
in him, so that when he appears
we may be confident and
unashamed before him at his coming.
—1 John 2:26-28

If I offered to give a young seven-year-old child my car keys, do you think that child would be willing to grab my keys and take my car out for a drive? Well, a particularly bold child might just take my keys and head out the door. Yet, I am quite sure that no seven-year-old knows how to safely drive a car. Why, most children of that age couldn’t even reach the gas or brake pedals.

There are just some things in life that we have to wait until we are older before we can fully understand what’s involved. Driving a car is one of those things. And, even after a person has driven a car for decades, if that person loses the ability to use his or her right leg, that one will have to have hand controls installed in a vehicle, take many hours of on-the-road instruction, and pass a new state exam in order to obtain a restricted driver’s license before he or she can regain the privilege of driving. How do I know this? Because that is exactly what I had to do when a 19-year-long infection finally resulted in the amputation of my right leg in 2017. Having done all that was required of me, using my specially equipped Dodge Caravan, I can now drive myself wherever I want to go. When I arrive, I can unload my powered wheelchair and proceed anywhere that is handicap-accessible.

Yes, there are just some things in life that we have to wait until we are older before we can fully understand what’s involved. Or, if the circumstances of our lives change, we may have to make some fundamental adjustments to the way we have always done things in the past.

Among the things that we may have to grow into is being able to tell for certain what is “real” and what is “make-believe.” Many seven-year-old children’s lives are filled with storybooks and videos and TV programs that have characters that have become their friends. The older the children get, the more clearly they will be able to tell which of those characters are “real” and which of those characters are “make believe.”

Most children might be surprised to know that sometimes adults have trouble deciding what is “real” and what is “make-believe.” Our friendships are a good example of one type of those things. Sometimes, we come to believe that a particular person is our friend. But then, we learn that person we thought was our friend is really not our friend. We find out that person has said some bad things about us behind our back. Or, we discover that person has done something in secret that harms us in some way. So, we often have to examine our relationships rather carefully in order to determine which of those relationships are “real” and which of our relationships are “make-believe.”

For some of us, including me, having to try to figure out which relationships are genuine can present an almost overwhelming challenge. I’ve shared on this blog previously how some experiences in my early childhood and in my teenage years have shaped the way I relate to other people. I have become very socially awkward. And, much the worse, I have increasingly found it difficult to trust other people. So many times, throughout the years of my life, I have found people to behave in an untrustworthy manner that I have almost lost my ability to trust anyone.

Of course, there still are a few exceptions. But generally, I do not trust other people. Because of this, I am the loser. I end up not relating well to other people, especially one-on-one. And, my social awkwardness sometimes comes across to other people as if I am angry, or that I think I am better than other people, or that I am abrupt, harsh, or even cruel. Even though none of those outward appearances describe how I really feel in the depth of my being, because other people perceive me in these ways, their perceptions erect a barrier between us.

I continue to feel amazed at how difficult it can be to determine what is “make-believe.” Here’s another example.

Scripture talks about the return of Jesus Christ to earth, what people often call the “Second Coming of Christ.” One particular verse, found in Revelation 1:7, speaking about Jesus, states:

Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.

Some adults aren’t sure whether that verse is talking about a “real” event or a “make believe” one. But, I know for an absolute certainty that what that verse talks about is real. One day, maybe even one day soon, Jesus will return and everyone on earth will see Him. That will truly be an exciting day.

Because Jesus loves us so much, and because we love Him right back, we can look forward to that day when He returns to earth. Knowing that He is coming back some day, gives us joy and also helps us want to live in a way that pleases Him.

So, some things in your life right now may be “make-believe.” But, one thing you can count on—something that is very real—is that Jesus loves you, and that He has a wonderful, wonderful plan for your life. He has promised to return to earth. And, that is exactly what He will do.

Until He does return, Jesus has given us the Holy Spirit to walk alongside us each day. The Holy Spirit will help us stay on the pathway that God has laid out before us. We are not alone. Until Jesus returns, the Holy Spirit will lead us and guide us into the pathway of obedience every single day.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.