Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Thirsty for the Spirit

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
and streams on the dry ground; I will
pour out my Spirit on your offspring,
and my blessing on your descendants.”
—Isaiah 44:3

When you’re thirsty, really thirsty, nothing quenches that thirst quite like a drink of cool, clear spring water. As a small boy growing up in the inland valleys of central northwestern Pennsylvania, we were blessed to have a number of natural springs available to us. One of those springs existed on the outskirts of the city, coming off a hill that led onto a road named “Interstate Parkway.”

In the summertime, my dad would take several clear gallon glass jugs, load them into the trunk of our car, and with me in the shotgun seat, drive out to that spring and fill those bottles with the clearest, coldest, most refreshing water that I had ever tasted. The bottled water that we have in such abundance today was nearly unheard of in those days. So, it was a real treat to be able to open the refrigerator and fill a glass or cup from one of those gallon jugs of natural spring water.

The Holy Spirit is like that refreshing spring water. He comes into our lives when we acknowledge that Jesus is our Lord and Savior. Thereafter, the Spirit provides us with a constant flow of fresh, clear, cool spiritual water that revives our spirits and lifts our souls.

The Prophet Isaiah had lived long enough on the edge of the desert to know how important a spring of living water was to a land that was parched by the heat of the sun. That’s why Isaiah, speaking the words of God, recorded these statements found in Isaiah 44:3:

For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.

God refreshes the spirits of His dearly loved children by pouring the Holy Spirit into their lives. That’s the lesson for today. We need to recognize how fortunate we are to have such a refreshment made available to us by the God who loves us with His everlasting love.

 

Copyright © 2018 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.