Friday, April 20, 2018

Update on Friday, April 20, 2018

 

[Cartoon of surgery on big toe]


“As the toes were partly iron and partly clay, so this
kingdom will be partly strong and partly brittle.”
—Daniel 2:42

Thank you for your prayers and kind thoughts. I am happy to report that the surgery today to straighten a hammertoe on my left foot went better than expected. My Podiatric Surgeon, Dr. Jay C. Moritz, seemed very pleased at how well the surgery progressed.

We had to arise at 3:00 a.m. in order to arrive at UPMC Hamot Hospital and Medical Center by 5:15 a.m. After the registration procedure, we went up to the second floor surgery area and were soon taken back to prepare for the surgery.

Dr. Moritz had telephoned me on Thursday to say that the X-ray seemed to indicate that both joints of the big toe were significantly distorted. This would make the surgery more complicated.

Surgery began shortly after 7:15 a.m. and finished in about an hour. Dr. Moritz reported that the surgery proved much simpler than he had thought. Once he cut the tendon, the big toe straightened right out. So, the joints were not distorted as the X-rays had seemed to indicate.

I am now back in my old friend the surgical boot for the next six to eight weeks as the bones of the big toe fuse in their new straightened position. I hope to have another fitting of the temporary prosthesis for my right leg in the days ahead.

Again, thank you for your continued prayers.

 

 

Copyright © 2018 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.