Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Come and Drink

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus
stood and said in a loud voice, “If anyone is
thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever
believes in me, as the Scripture said, streams
of living water will flow from within him.”
—John 7:37-38

To keep ourselves in the healthiest possible state, we need to remain well-hydrated. Drinking a significant quantity of water each day is an important step in that process. Water is the most appropriate alternative to all other beverages.

For many, many years, I was addicted to diet cola. I loved the taste of diet cola. I drank a quart or more of diet cola each day. Then, my doctor confronted me with the potential damage that such a large quantity of diet cola could do to my already-stressed kidneys. So cold turkey, I stopped drinking diet. Every day, I now only drink water or an occasional glass of milk.

I cannot report that I feel any better physically. But, I do derive some sense of well-being from actually having overcome my addiction and, more so, from following the advice of my doctor.

I still greatly miss the taste of diet cola. I am significantly tempted, almost every day, to break my diet cola fast and grab an ice cold glass of that delightful amber-brown liquid. For several years now, I have successfully abstained and I fully plan to continue to do so.

Far more importantly, in addition to our physical need for water, our spirit needs refreshment from the life-giving water of the Holy Spirit. That’s what Jesus was talking about during the exchange recorded in John 7:37-38:

On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture said, streams of living water will flow from within him.”

Through the Holy Spirit, God provides living water for our thirsty souls. As we begin this new day, let’s determine to drink deeply from this life-giving spring.

Let’s allow the Holy Spirit to pour this spiritual water over us, into us, and fill us full-to-overflowing. The dryness of our spirits will disappear in an instant. We will feel truly refreshed and renewed. Let us come and drink.

Please listen, as the late Donald Doig, sings about this spiritual water in a lovely arrangement of Lucy J. Meyer’s song, beautifully arranged by Ronn Huff:

[Graphic of a play music arrow]


 

Copyright © 2017 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.