Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Rock of Refuge

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“I love you, Lord, my strength. The Lord is my
rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God
is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield
and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”
—Psalm 18:1-2

Not far inland from where I live along the shore of Lake Erie is the delightful town of Panama, New York. This small community is famous for an outstanding formation of very large rocks, a vestige of the Ice Age. These Panama Rocks offer visitors a rather spectacular look at the power of nature and at the permanence of these amazingly large rock formations.

It had to have taken an enormous pressure to heave these rocks upward from deep within the earth to their present position that towers over those who come to see them. One might easily say that such power is strength personified. The very nature of these rocks speaks to how firm and solid they are.

The Psalmist captured a similar image when he wrote about God, as recorded in Psalm 18:1-2:

I love you, Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

God is our rock! He is our fortress, our deliverer, and our strength. In times of trouble and distress, we can take refuge in the shelter of His loving arms. He provides a stronghold around us that no evil can penetrate.

At the start of this new day, let’s celebrate the protection that God provides. We can rest secure within the confines of His shelter. We can renew our own strength by drawing from the strength that He provides. We can arise from our shelter and again enter the fray, knowing that God is unmovable in the solid place He has in our lives.

 

Copyright © 2017 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.