Thursday, March 24, 2016

Nobody Told Me

 

[Painting of Jesus talking to His disciples]


“On the way, he took the Twelve aside…”
—Matthew 20:18a

One of my former colleagues had a somewhat unusual response to any news I would deliver. After hearing of any change in procedure or new policy, he would say, “Well, nobody told me!”

“But, Bill,” I would say, “I just told you.”

He would respond, “Well, nobody told me!”

I would always feel a bit frustrated with this exchange. I wonder if this is how Jesus felt with His disciples.

In the days preceding His crucifixion, Jesus clearly told His disciples what would happen. Yet, the disciples seemed surprised and shaken when exactly what Jesus told them would take place came to pass.

Note these words recorded in Matthew 20:17-19:

Now Jesus was going up to Jerusalem.

On the way, he took the Twelve aside and said to them, “We are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be delivered over to the chief priests and the teachers of the law.

“They will condemn him to death and will hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged and crucified.

“On the third day he will be raised to life!”

Jesus could not have given His disciples any clearer information. Yet they seemed surprised as events unfolded.

I wonder sometimes, as things become worse and worse in this world, why we seem so surprised. The Bible clearly states that in the last days things will become more chaotic, sin will abound, and the followers of Jesus will come under attack.

Let’s not act surprised when what God has told us in His Word happens exactly as He said it would. Let’s prepare for what’s ahead. And, let’s rest in the knowledge that Christ has already won the victory on our behalf.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.