Monday, December 28, 2015

Sing in the Morning

 

[Graphic of a musical background with words superimposed]


“But I will sing of your strength,
in the morning I will sing of your love”
—Psalm 59:16a

How do you begin your day? Psychologists insist that the first five or ten minutes after we wake up and get out of bed can set the tone for the rest of our day.

Apparently, King David learned this through personal experience. He speaks to God these words found in Psalm 59:16:

But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.

David had learned that beginning his day with a song of praise would set him on the right path for the rest of the day.

“But, I can't sing,” you may say.

Certainly you can sing! Do you know why people sing while taking a shower? First of all, showers have great acoustics. Secondly, there’s no human audience.

God wants to hear your song of praise. He doesn’t care if someone told you that you sound awful when you sing. Your melody of praise to Him is always a delight to His ears.

God listens to us through ears of love. We are His dear children. We are the ones who, before the foundation of the earth, He has chosen to belong to Himself.

So, start your day with a song of praise. Follow the admonition contained in the words translated from a German hymn by Edward Caswell:

When morning gilds the skies,
My heart awaking cries,
May Jesus Christ be praised!
Alike at work or prayer,
To Jesus I repair.
May Jesus Christ be praised!

Start your day with joy: sing in the morning!

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.