Thursday, October 15, 2015

Fruit-bearing Disciples

 

[Drawing of grapes with words superimposed]


“If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit…”
—John 15:5

Most everyone wants to feel as if he or she has a clear purpose in life.

In my career as a fire protection engineer that clear purpose was to make certain that buildings had specifically designed fire protection equipment that would save lives, protect the physical property, preserve the mission of the facility, preserve the heritage contained in the facility, and protect the environment.

As believers in the life-transforming power of the Lord Jesus Christ, we also have a purpose in life: to become fruit-bearing disciples.

Our Savior explains this in John 15:5-8:

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

“If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

“This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”

Starting out in this new day, let us abide in Christ by spending time reading His Word, the Bible, and by talking with Him in prayer.

Then, let us proceed through our day conscious of our Savior’s great love for us and equally conscious of our duty to show His love in the way we relate to the people He brings across our pathway.

In so doing, we will abide (or remain) in Him and bring glory to His Name. And, we will become fruit-bearing disciples of the Great King Jesus.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.