Thursday, June 19, 2014

“It’s ‘Mickey Mouse,’ But It Works!”

 

[Graphic of a sign]


 “How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord Almighty!
My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow
a nest for herself, where she may have her young—
a place near your altar, Lord Almighty, my King and my God.
Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you.”
 —Psalm 84:1-4

Last weekend a dear Christian friend, Robert D. Anderson, ended his journey on earth and was ushered into glory. Bob was not only a good friend, he was an exceptional friend and a truly fine servant of the Lord Jesus.

A son of Maine, I met Bob, his wife and their two children, soon after I moved to Connecticut in 1973. Bob attended Wethersfield Evangelical Free Church, where we made our first church home in Connecticut.

An employee of IBM, Bob and I shared a love of electronics. We worked together on many projects involving the church sound system.

Whenever we would have to make an unanticipated modification to some equipment, in his distinctive Maine drawl, Bob would quip, “Well, it’s “Mickey Mouse,’ but it works!”

Bob lived out his faith in the kindness he extended to others, in his ready smile, in his willingness to help others, and especially in the way he lovingly treated his wife and raised his kids.

Bob lived a good and full life. His last few years he struggled with health issues, but remained a stalwart servant of Christ.

His journey on this earth has ended. Now he is truly and fully alive in the very Presence of his Savior and Lord.

I imagine it won’t be too long and he will meet me at the celestial gate, as I make my own journey home to heaven. I suspect he will report, “I’ve been working on a project and I can use your help. I’ve had to change things around a bit. It’s “Mickey Mouse,’ but it works!”

 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.

 

No comments: