Monday, November 26, 2012

So, What’s the Scoop About Advent?

 

2 The people walking in darkness
        have seen a great light;
   on those living in the land of the shadow of death
        a light has dawned.
3 You have enlarged the nation
        and increased their joy;
   they rejoice before you
        as people rejoice at the harvest,
   as men rejoice
        when dividing the plunder.
4 For as in the day of Midian’s defeat,
        you have shattered
   the yoke that burdens them,
        the bar across their shoulders,
        the rod of their oppressor.
5 Every warrior’s boot used in battle
        and every garment rolled in blood
   will be destined for burning,
        will be fuel for the fire.
6 For to us a child is born,
        to us a son is given,
        and the government will be on his shoulders.
   And he will be called
        Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
        Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and peace
        there will be no end.
   He will reign on David’s throne
        and over his kingdom,
   establishing and upholding it
        with justice and righteousness
        from that time on and forever.
   The zeal of the Lord Almighty
        will accomplish this.

—The words of the Prophet Isaiah from Isaiah 9:2-7

 

Yesterday, Sunday, November 25, 2012, marked the end of the church year. Countless congregations of sincere Christians across the globe celebrated this signal day by marking “Christ the King” Sunday.

Oh, I know that many Protestant evangelical Christians stay clear of any reference to the church year. I used to be one of them. I was raised in strict fundamentalism. The list of things I was not allowed to do stretched so long that if I had carried it with me it would have dragged across the floor—I probably would have tripped over it.

I am very grateful that, over the course of my life, God has brought a large number of devoted followers of Christ across my pathway. Many of them have enriched my worship experience by exposing me to elements of historic Christianity that I would have shunned as a teenager and young adult. For someone who carried his bright red Youth for Christ Bible on top of his school books all through high school to come to understand and appreciate so many elements missing from my upbringing has been a blessed experience.

Advent Wreath

So, as I write this blog post, and particularly as I reflect on Isaiah’s prophecy in the Scripture passage at the beginning of this blog post, I realize that many of the evangelicals reading this particular post may be horrified that I mention the opening season of a new church year that begins this coming Sunday, December 2, 2012: Advent.

To my fellow evangelicals I say, “You need not be horrified by the beauty and richness provided by the observance of the days of the church year.” In fact, who could quarrel with taking a Sunday to celebrate that the Lord Jesus Christ is, in fact, our King of Kings and Lord of Lords. That’s what I did yesterday, along with the members of the congregation where I worship—a fledgling new mission group, Redeemer Presbyterian Church, that one day hopes to affiliate with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

So what’s the scoop about Advent? One of the best explanations I have found comes from the folks at BustedHalo.com a ministry of the Paulist Fathers.

“What just a minute!” you may say. “Paulist Fathers sounds Roman Catholic. Don’t tell me that you, a Protestant evangelical, are using a resource from a Roman Catholic group?”

Yes I am! One of the blessings that God has given me in my life is the realization that I have many brothers and sisters in Christ who worship as Roman Catholics. And, the Paulist Fathers is one group within the Roman Catholic Church that has a particular emphasis on evangelism—and isn’t that a significant part of what being “evangelical” is all about?

Please click here to watch a video from the great team over at BustedHalo.com. I hope you enjoy it and find it both interesting and instructive.

I invite you to join me during the upcoming weeks of Advent to celebrate the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ to earth as a baby in Bethlehem’s manger and also His coming to earth again at the time of His much-anticipated Second Coming.

Will you please pray with me?

Thank You, God, for loving us. Thank You for sending Jesus to be our Savior. Thank You for sending us Your Holy Spirit to dwell within us.

We celebrate the birth of Your Son. What a miracle! We simply cannot comprehend the depth of Your love for us that You would send Your only Son as the One to pay the penalty for our sin.

We also wait in humble anticipation, Dear Father, for the return of Your Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, to earth. We long for Him to come quickly and receive us into the fullness of Your Kingdom.

Please help us during the season of Advent to fix our minds and hearts on the eager anticipation we feel for both of these most holy events. By the power of Your Holy Spirit, prepare our minds and hearts to receive Your joy, as we await the Day of Celebration.

Thank You for hearing our prayer in and through the precious Name of Your Son, our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.

 

No comments: