Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Shelter in the Time of Storm

 

12 Moses said to the Lord, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with me.’ 13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.”

14 The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

15 Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. 16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”

17 And the Lord said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”

18 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.”

19 And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”

21 Then the Lord said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”

—The narrative concerning God’s chosen people from Exodus 33:12-23

 

In the United States of America, today marks a Day of Thanksgiving. No matter what the current status of your life, if you pause and think carefully, you will find a significant number of things for which you can offer thanks to God.

In many ways, this has been an extremely trying year in my own life. It actually represents the culmination of three very long and difficult years of heartbreaking turmoil, as I have watched a church that I deeply love destroy itself. At the same time, my greatest thanks, as I pause to reflect, comes out of this despicable conflict. Namely, I have come to an increasing awareness that God truly does control every aspect of the lives of those He loves and cares about.

In the Scripture passage at the beginning of this blog post, God and His servant, Moses, have a conversation. Moses asks God to teach him His ways. After they talk a while longer, Moses asks God to go with him and the people God has chosen. Moses declares, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here.” Later in the conversation, Moses boldly asks God to, “Now show me your glory.”

God knows that no human could withstand His glory. But, He honors Moses by making provision and replies, “When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.” And, there it is. God always makes provision for those He loves. Will you permit me to state that again for emphasis? God always makes provision for those He loves.

Growing up in an old-fashioned fundamentalist congregation, on Wednesday nights we met for Prayer Meeting. The gathering always began with the singing of some classic gospel songs. One older member of the gathered believers would often request a gospel hymn entitled “A Shelter in the Time of Storm.”

With words by Vernon J. Charlesworthy and music by Ira D. Sankey, this song takes the event of Exodus 33 and updates it by recognizing that New Testament believers have been grafted in to the vine of God’s chosen people, Israel. Once I learned the history of this song, I used to imagine myself sitting in one of D. L. Moody’s revival meetings with Ira Sankey leading the singing.

As you read through these words, I hope you will sense some of the same awe that Moses might have felt as God shielded him in the cleft of the rock. For, you see, Jesus is our Rock in a weary land. And, He truly is a shelter in the time of storm.

The Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
Secure whatever ill betide,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A weary land, a weary land;
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

A shade by day, defense by night,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
No fears alarm, no foes afright,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A weary land, a weary land;
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

The raging storms may round us beat,
A Shelter in the time of storm
We’ll never leave our safe retreat,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A weary land, a weary land;
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

O Rock divine, O Refuge dear,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
Be Thou our Helper ever near,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A weary land, a weary land;
Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

Will you pray with me?

Thank You, God, for loving us. Thank You for sending Jesus to be our Savior. Thank You for sending us Your Holy Spirit to dwell within us. On this day of National Thanksgiving, our hearts turn toward You to acknowledge that without Your loving kindness and tender mercies we would dissolve in ruin and despair. Be pleased to receive our thanksgiving and praise for Your goodness and Your love.

Precious Father, we honor, magnify, and glorify Your Holy Name. Be pleased to continue to guide us along the pathway You have laid out before us. With humble hearts, we thank You for hearing our prayer in and through the precious Name of Jesus, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.

 

No comments: